Paleo Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard (keto, stevia-sweetened!)
Grab a jar of Paleo Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard for a quick and healthy, high-protein, low-carb/keto, dairy-free breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Download your FREE 7-Day Instant Pot Real Food Meal Plan here!
It’s not summer until someone busts out the strawberries and rhubarb…
To make something… ANYTHING!
Ice cream and pies, crumbles and crisps, cobblers and more, ohhhhh yes! Oh, and don’t forget about the rhubarb juice! Have you seen my 2-ingredient recipe for Instant Pot Rhubarb Juice?!
And now? A super easy Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard!
If you can get your hands on some rhubarb this season, DO IT!
Strawberries + Rhubarb = Low-Carb Summer Essentials!
If summer desserts have you on carb overload, look to blood sugar-friendly, low-glycemic strawberries and rhubarb. (Plus, this custard is sweetened with only stevia!)
Botanically speaking, rhubarb is a vegetable. Yet, it is often thought of as a fruit because it’s primarily used in sweet dishes.
Rhubarb has just 3 grams net carbs per cup — making it extremely low-carb and also keto-friendly.
Strawberries are another keto/low-carb fruit with just 6 grams of net carbs per cup.
The remaining ingredients in this easy paleo Instant Pot custard — full fat coconut milk, eggs, stevia — are also keto-friendly.
A Recipe That Multi-tasks: Strawberry Rhubarb Custard For Breakfast (or dessert or a snack!)
There’s absolutely no reason you shouldn’t have this yummy strawberry-rhubarb custard for breakfast because…
It’s got plenty of protein, too!
I’ve added grass-fed collagen and gelatin to this sugar-free Instant Pot custard to amp up the protein and give you a healthy start to your day. (Learn the difference between collagen and gelatin here!) The collagen isn’t an absolute necessity in this recipe, but it does add thickness (and, about 30 extra grams of protein).
The gelatin, however, is necessary because it’s what turns this into a silky, creamy custard!
If you like, make this custard in individual jars for an easy grab-and-go breakfast or snack.
And, although rhubarb isn’t typically in season during the school year, these custards would make a great addition to a school lunch, too.
Pssst! Love the Weck jars I use in these photos? You can find them right here!
I love a recipe that multi-tasks, don’t you? 😉
How To Make Stevia-Sweetened Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard
It’s really as easy as throw everything into your blender, blend, and pressure cook!
You add all the ingredients except gelatin to your blender. I have a high-powered BlendTec that works like a boss for making pudding and custard bases super smooth.
Once everything is blended, add the gelatin last.
Then, it’s time to cook. You have a couple of options:
- Pour the custard base into a 1.5-quart glass bowl (like this) or casserole dish with a lid (like this). If your bowl doesn’t have a glass lid, cover with parchment first, then foil to prevent water from coming into the custard. Place the dish on the metal trivet, and then pressure cook.
- Or, divide the custard base into 8-ounce jars (like these or these). Put lids on the jars. Place the jars on the metal trivet, then pressure cook.
If serving your Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard family-style, the bowl or casserole dish is the way to go.
However, if you’re liking the idea of individual servings, especially for on-the-go snacking or a quick breakfast, go with the jars.
The ingredients, prep, cooking time… everything is the same either way!
Now, let’s make some Paleo Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard!
Instant Pot Strawberry-Rhubarb Custard
Grab a jar of Paleo Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Custard for a quick and healthy, high-protein, low-carb/keto, dairy-free breakfast, snack, or dessert!
- Add the coconut milk, eggs, strawberries, rhubarb, collagen, vanilla, stevia, and salt to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more stevia, if necessary.
Add the gelatin and blend again.
- Pour the mixture into a 1.5-quart glass dish and cover with parchment then foil or a glass lid. Or, divide the mixture evenly between 5 8-ounce jars and secure a lid on each jar.
- Prepare your Instant Pot by placing the stainless steel trivet in the bottom of the pot along with 1 cup of water.
- Place the jars filled with custard mix on the trivet.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot, seal the vent, and press the "Manual" button. Adjust the time to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- When it beeps, immediately release the pressure.
- Using an oven mitt or pair of tongs, carefully remove the hot jars from the Instant Pot and set them aside to cool to room temperature.
- When cooled to room temp, transfer the jars to the fridge to finish setting.
- The mixture will likely separate as it cools. This is normal. Simply give each jar a shake to re-emulsify as the custard cools.
- When the custard is totally set and cold, it's ready to enjoy!
Speaking Of Sugar-Free/Keto Desserts…
My eBook Sweet Without Sugar is full of ’em! 🙂
Have you had to break up with sugar (and whole sweeteners) due to blood sugar imbalance, gut issues like candida, weight problems, or food allergies? Or, you know it’s time to end your love affair with sugar but the thought of going without sweets is killing you?
You love dessert…
But unfortunately, dessert doesn’t love you back. 🙁
- eating dessert no longer has to feel like a guilty pleasure?
- dessert isn’t just grain-free or gluten-free but totally sugar-free as well?
- dessert was a healthy part of a nourishing diet?
- you ate cheesecake, cookies, cobbler, pie, and more without upsetting your tummy?
- dessert didn’t spike your blood sugar or cause you to gain 5 pounds overnight?
- the sweets you eat didn’t contribute to gut dysbiosis?
Now, it IS possible!
As if making nourishing treats without sugar (or even maple syrup or honey) wasn’t enough, I wanted to make every bite count for nutrition, too. That’s why ingredients like pastured eggs, butter, cultured cream cheese, coconut oil, and Fair Trade cacao abound in recipes such as…
- Memaw’s Chocolate Pie
- Orange & Dark Chocolate Milano Tart
- Thin Mint Tart
- Chocolate Curd
- Orange-Vanilla Cake
- Cherry Ripple Cheesecake
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Strawberry-Lemon Swiss Roll
- No-Peanut Butter Cookies
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream
- …and SO many more!
More Keto-Friendly Desserts You’ll Love…
- Probiotic Pomegranate & Clementine Cheesecake (no-bake!)
- Paleo White Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- Grain-Free Maple Carrot Cake (with cultured maple cream cheese frosting)
- Stevia-Sweetened Watermelon Mint Sorbet
- Low-Carb Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3-Ingredient Keto Raspberry Lemon Popsicles
- Instant Pot Orange Creamsicle Custard Cups
- Keto Instant Pot Rhubarb Juice