Paleo White Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies (with a keto option!)
The flavor of white chocolate and peppermint in a slightly crisp (sugar-free, if you like!) cookie is simply divine. These Paleo White Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are made with the simplest, whole ingredients and can banish a case of the winter blues like nothing else! They’re grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and can be keto with an easy sweetener swap!
Have questions about those keto sweeteners?
I’m answering them in my Guide To Alternative Sweeteners — Download it FREE here!
What is it about winter and white chocolate???
Is it because we associate white chocolate with white snow…
And peppermint with cold…?
Whatever it is, I’m obsessed with winter and white chocolate! (Check out my Nourishing White Hot Chocolate!)
The flavor of white chocolate and peppermint in a slightly crisp (sugar-free, if you like!) cookie is simply divine.
I’m telling ya… There’s NOTHING in a box or package at the supermarket that can compare!
Only The Best Ingredients
These cookies don’t have many ingredients… Therefore, you can splurge on the *best* ingredients! I choose my ingredients carefully because I want our foods to be as delicious and nutrient-dense as possible. So, here are the simple, nourishing, must-have ingredients for this recipe:
Organic Cacao Butter: With a deep, rich chocolate smell, nothing compares to cacao butter! I use Wildly Organic’s Raw Cacao Butter because it isn’t processed at high heats and no solvents, chemicals, or hexane is involved in the processing. If I’m going to use a more expensive fat like cacao butter, you better believe I want the BEST! <– Save 10% on your Wildly Organic purchase with my coupon code NOURISHING!
Superfine Almond Flour: Next, superfine blanched almond flour will ensure that your cookies have a phenomenal texture. This light, not dense, flour is one of my favorite grain-free flours!
Palm Shortening: For dairy-free folks, palm shortening gives these cookies a butter-like crisp without the butter! Although, you can use butter if you’re not dairy-free.
Sweetener: Need a low-carb, sugar-free cookie? Use Dietz Sweet — my special blend of erythritol and stevia that can be substituted cup-for-cup with sugar. (Not sure about erythritol? Get my FREE Guide To Alternative Sweeteners!) However, if you prefer to avoid alternative sweeteners, then you can’t go wrong with organic coconut sap sugar.
Peppermint Essential Oil: Yep, this recipe uses essential oils for flavor! I absolutely love using peppermint essential oil instead of extract in my recipes. In my opinion, the flavor is much purer, not fake like an extract. <– Save 10% on your Spark Naturals purchase with my coupon code NOURISHING10 + free shipping on all orders over $25!
Paleo White Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
The flavor of white chocolate and peppermint in a slightly crisp (sugar-free, if you like!) cookie is simply divine. These Paleo White Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are made with the simplest, whole ingredients and can banish a case of the winter blues like nothing else! They're grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and can be keto with an easy sweetener swap!
Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
For The Cookies:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix until a dough forms.
- Turn out onto parchment paper and roll into a cylinder about 6 inches long.
- Wrap in the parchment. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Remove from the freezer and cut the dough into 1/4-inch slices.
- Lay each slice onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet about an inch apart.
Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and gently transfer the hot cookies to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before drizzling with white chocolate.
For The White Chocolate Drizzle:
- Over a double boiler or saucepan of boiling water with a glass bowl on top, melt the white chocolate very gently. You don't want to heat it too much.
- Add the sweetener of your choice. Honey or maple syrup will result in a smooth drizzle. If using Dietz Sweet, your drizzle will taste great, but it may have some undissolved bits of erythritol, as this is the nature of sugar alcohols.
- Whisk until smooth.
- If the cacao butter melts too much, place it in the fridge or set it aside to cool and thicken, whisking occasionally.
- Spoon the drizzle into a piping bag fitted with a fine tip, and pipe in back-and-forth motions across the cookies.
- Alternatively, drizzle the white chocolate on to the cookies with a spoon or fork.
- Let the drizzle set completely and harden before serving.
Want More Grain-Free Cookie Recipes?
Or, check out my eCookbook, Sweet Without Sugar: A Collection Of Nourishing, Allergy-Friendly, Low-Carb Desserts! Click the blue button below to learn more!
What’s your favorite winter cookie recipe?
Last modified on 10/23/2018
7 dinners, 2 desserts, prep steps, & printable shopping list...
All Real Food, all in your Instant Pot!