Paleo Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie (with maple sugar crust OR sugar-free option!)
Have you tried “baking” in your pressure cooker yet? If not, this Paleo Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie is THE recipe you need to start! It’s creamy-dreamy delicious with nourishing, healthy ingredients, sooooo easy, and so allergy-friendly. If the oven is in use and you need a healthy holiday dessert, give this Paleo Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie a try! Download your FREE 7-Day Real Food Instant Pot Meal Plan!
I’ll be the first to admit…
I haven’t done a lot of baking in my Instant Pot.
Ok. The truth?
I haven’t done any baking in my Instant Pot. Until now…
Emily first told me about her cookbook last spring, and I knew then that I wouldn’t be able to wait to get my hands on it. I immediately signed up to review her cookbook and post a recipe from it here on the blog!
The Art Of Great Cooking With Your Instant Pot
You see, Emily knows her way around an Instant Pot.
Not only can she do IP main dishes like a boss (see: Healthy Instant Pot Thai Chicken), her IP dessert game is strong, too (see: Instant Pot Stuffed Peaches and 5-Minute Healthy Instant Pot Chocolate Pudding).
I’d be CRAZY not to get a cookbook that’s…
- Real Food ONLY
- written just for the Instant Pot (my favorite kitchen appliance ever)
- packed with gluten-free, nourishing, WAPF-friendly, and Paleo-friendly meats, soups, pasta dishes, casseroles, breakfasts, and heavenly desserts
- beautifully photographed (because who doesn’t want to sit around a drool over food??)
- written by someone who knows what she’s doing
- full of 80 tested, successful recipes like… Citrus-Herb Basque Chicken, Zucchini Soup with Creme Fraiche, Bacon, Kale, & Mushroom Spaghetti, Sausage & Gouda Breakfast Pudding, and Lemon Thyme Ricotta Cheesecake.
Just look at some of the recipes from The Art Of Great Cooking With Your Instant Pot!!
And of course… Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie (it’s on page 164 of The Art Of Great Cooking With Your Instant Pot.). 😉
If I was ever going to attempt dessert in my Instant Pot, I didn’t want to fly solo. I wanted a tested recipe from someone I trust! (Guess what? I actually met Emily on a trip to California in June 2017! She’s absolutely fantastic!)
Instant Pot Paleo Pumpkin Pie
This Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie is creamy-dreamy delicious. With just a couple of ingredient swaps, I was able to make it dairy-free, too!
Actually, this recipe marked a couple of firsts for me:
First, I baked (successfully!) in my Instant Pot!
Second, maple sugar. Never used it until now. Will definitely be using again!
About that maple sugar…
It’s a wee bit pricey.
How To Make A Sugar-Free Instant Pot Paleo Pumpkin Pie
Alas, pumpkin has carbs, y’all. So, I can’t really make this keto or low-carb for ya.
So, unless you have a sliver instead of a full slice, this Instant Pot pie is either going to be off-limits or you can decide to be like, “You know what? It’s the holidays! It’s the time for pumpkin pie! Carpe diem!”
Either way, here’s how to make a sugar-free Instant Pot Paleo Pumpkin Pie with just 2 easy substitutions.
- Sub an equal amount of Dietz Sweet (my own sugar-free blend of erythritol and stevia) for the maple syrup.
- Add a teaspoon of organic maple extract to account for the loss of yummy maple flavor from the syrup.
See? I have a few tricks up my sleeve, but none of them are particularly mind-blowing! LOL 😉
Ready to put your Instant Pot to work on an especially lovely and healthy holiday dessert?
Instant Pot Paleo Pumpkin Pie (with maple sugar crust OR sugar-free option!)
This creamy-dreamy delicious Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie is grain-free, gluten-free, and has a dairy-free option! If you've never made dessert in your IP, this is THE ONE!
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017
Maple Sugar Crust
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1cuppumpkin pureenot pie filling
- 1/2cupmaple syrupor Dietz Sweet (for sugar-free)
- 1pastured egg
- 1/2cupgrass-fed creamor full-fat coconut milk for dairy-free
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4teaspoonground cloves
- 1/4teaspoonground ginger
- 1/4teaspoonground allspice
- 1teaspoonorganic maple extract(for sugar-free version only)
- Add all crust ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Dump the mixture into your greased pan and press down to form a "packed" crust at the bottom. Don't worry about pressing it up the sides; you want it to form a nice, thick crust on the bottom.
- Transfer the crust to the freezer for 15 minutes, while you prepare the pumpkin pie filling.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together all filling ingredients except the water. The mixture should be completely smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the frozen springform pan.
- If using a casserole dish, cover with the glass lid. If not, place a piece of unbleached parchment over the springform pan and secure it with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Add the 1 cup water to your Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet inside the pot.
- Place the covered pie on top of the trivet.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed.
- Press the "Manual" button, and adjust the time to 35 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, press "Keep Warm/Cancel" Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes.
- Then, release the remaining pressure and remove the lid from the Instant Pot.
- Using oven mitts, carefully lift the trivet with the pumpkin pie out of the Instant Pot.
- Allow the pie to cool to room temperature while covered.
- Once cooled, remove the lid (or parchment + foil), taking care not to drip any condensation onto the pie.
- Gently run a knife around the edges of the pan or dish. This will help loosen it until you're ready to remove it from the pan to serve.
- Wipe off all condensation from the lid (or parchment + foil) and return it to the top of the pie.
- Place the covered pie in the fridge to set for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Serve chilled as-is or with homemade whipped cream (or coconut cream for dairy-free), orhomemade vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
Y’all make sure to get your copy of The Art Of Great Cooking With Your Instant Pot! I love it so much, I’ve added it to my list of favorite Instant Pot resources!
Our Most Popular Instant Pot Recipes & Posts
Need more no-fail Instant Pot recipes? How about the best Instant Pot information, troubleshooting, and tips? Here are the most popular Instant Pot recipes and posts here at All The Nourishing Things!
- FREE Download: Real Food Instant Pot Dinners 7-Day Meal Plan
- 5 Things You Can Make In Your Instant Pot TODAY To Save Time All Week
- 4 Ways The Instant Pot *Really* Does Save Time (+ 8 tips to account for & speed up pressurizing time)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Spinach-Artichoke Meatball Soup (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
- Dairy-Free Instant Pot Queso
- 6 Best Instant Pot Resources (Real Food Only!)
- I’ve Had My Instant Pot For A Year… and here’s what I think! (An Honest Review Of The Instant Pot)
- How To Cook Wild Rice In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot No-Peel Applesauce (Whole30, paleo, vegan)
- No-Fail Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
Have you “baked” in your Instant Pot yet? What did you make? How did it turn out?
7 dinners, 2 desserts, prep steps, & printable shopping list...
All Real Food, all in your Instant Pot!