No-Fail Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs (no more 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 & works on farm-fresh eggs, too!)
This is the ONLY way to do boiled eggs in the Instant Pot! With No-Fail Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs, you get easy-to-peel, perfectly cooked eggs every time — even farm-fresh eggs! No more 5-5-5 or 6-6-6; this method for pressure cooking eggs is simpler and faster! Get your FREE 7-Day Real Food Instant Pot Meal Plan here!
How many ways are there to boil an egg??
You’d think there wouldn’t be that many… but there are.
And people are confused!
First of all, if you don’t already have an Instant Pot, the ability to make perfect hard-boiled eggs in just a few minutes is reason enough to own one. Just get one already. You’ll love it! 🙂
Second, I bet I see at least 5 comments per day in the Instant Pot Community Facebook Group from people who tried various methods of hard-boiling eggs in their Instant Pots — most of the time lamenting because whatever method they used didn’t actually work.
The most common methods are the 5-5-5 and 6-6-6.
What The Heck Is 5-5-5 and 6-6-6??
The first number is how long the eggs actually pressure cook. The second number is how long to leave the eggs in the Instant Pot AFTER they’ve cooked, otherwise known as NPR or “natural pressure release”. And, the final number is how long to put the eggs in a cold water/ice bath.
So, the 5-5-5 method is 5 minutes of cooking, 5 minutes sitting in the IP still under pressure, and 5 minutes in cold water. Same with 6-6-6.
Furthermore, MANY folks swear by these methods. I’m not saying they don’t work because they obviously do, or people wouldn’t keep using and recommending them.
#1 — They’re unnecessary.
Even if you get great results using these methods, there is a better, faster way! And, I’m allllllll about better and faster! Anywhere that I can save time and still get good results, I’m in!
(By the way, save time this week by letting me plan dinner for you. Download your FREE Real Food Instant Pot Dinners 7-Day Meal Plan!)
#2 — They don’t always work for farm-fresh eggs.
Ever experienced the massive frustration that is peeling a fresh egg? It’s maddening (assuming you can even get the shell off without obliterating the white)!
The 5-5-5 and 6-6-6 methods don’t reliably work on super fresh, from-the-farm eggs. My no-fail method does!
No-Fail Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
This is the ONLY way to do boiled eggs in the Instant Pot!
Have you ever noticed a grey ring around the yolk of your boiled eggs or experienced rubbery whites? Both are signs of over-cooked eggs! With this no-fail method, you get perfectly cooked, easy-to-peel, hard-boiled eggs every time.
- No watching a timer.
- Works every time, especially on fresh eggs!
- You peel them when you’re ready!
- No “natural pressure release” because that actually overcooks the eggs.
- IP boiled eggs are 1 of 6 Instant Pot meal preps that’ll save your sanity!!
Are you ready for No-Fail Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs? P.S. I’ve also got you covered on Instant Pot Soft-Boiled Eggs — no slimy white, perfectly runny yolks!
No-Fail Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
With this no-fail method, you get perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs — yes, even when your eggs are fresh off the farm — EVERY TIME! No watching a timer, peel when you're ready, no grey ring around the yolk!
- 1dozen farm-fresh eggswill work on grocery store eggs, too
- Place the metal trivet in the bottom of the stainless steel insert of your Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup water to the pot.
- Place the eggs on the metal trivet.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, checking that the seal and all parts are in working order.
- Seal the vent.
- Press the "Manual" button and adjust the time to 4 minutes on high pressure.
- When it beeps, IMMEDIATELY release the pressure.
- As soon as the pressure has released, IMMEDIATELY remove the lid.
- Using tongs, transfer the cooked eggs to a bowl.
- Cover the cooked eggs with cold water and set aside until cool enough to handle or even several hours, until you're ready to peel them.
- Peel, then store in a covered, airtight container in the fridge.
This method is using ROOM TEMPERATURE, farm-fresh eggs. If your eggs are refrigerated, take them out of the fridge and allow them to come to room temp before cooking.
Our Most Popular Instant Pot Recipes & Posts
Need more no-fail Instant Pot recipes? How about the best Instant Pot information, troubleshooting, and tips? Here are the most popular Instant Pot recipes and posts here at All The Nourishing Things!
- FREE Download: Real Food Instant Pot Dinners 7-Day Meal Plan
- 6 Instant Pot Meal Preps That’ll Save Your Sanity
- 4 Ways The Instant Pot *Really* Does Save Time (+ 8 tips to account for & speed up pressurizing time)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Spinach-Artichoke Meatball Soup (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
- Dairy-Free Instant Pot Queso
- 6 Best Instant Pot Resources (Real Food Only!)
- I’ve Had My Instant Pot For A Year… and here’s what I think! (An Honest Review Of The Instant Pot)
- How To Cook Wild Rice In The Instant Pot
- No-Fail Instant Pot Soft-Boiled Eggs
What do you think of this method for boiled eggs? Will you give it a try?
7 dinners, 2 desserts, prep steps, & printable shopping list...
All Real Food, all in your Instant Pot!