Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (paleo, keto, Whole30)
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala is quick, easy, nourishing, and so tasty! With anti-inflammatory spices like turmeric, garlic, and ginger, this healthy Indian-inspired dish paleo, Whole30, THM, and keto-friendly comfort food! Serve over rice or cauli-rice!
Make dinner in your Instant Pot every night this week!
Download our FREE 7-Day Real Food Instant Pot Meal Plan!
My sister-in-law nudged us for years…
“You have GOT to try it! You’d love it!” she’d say.
We’d smile and nod outwardly, while inwardly going, “Yeah, right. Not happening. Weird flavors aren’t us.”
Holy moly! We missed out on Tikka Masala for years. And I’m so sad about that!
Believe me, we’re making up for it now. I’ve been making Instant Pot Tikka Masala about once a month.
Then, I had an idea: what if I could shorten my cooking time and use fewer pots and pans by cooking Tikka Masala in the Instant Pot???
It worked! (And if you’ve never had Tikka Masala [a.k.a. Butter Chicken in some circles], you’re missing out!)
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala — UPDATE!
Since I originally published this recipe in April of 2016, it has quickly taken me by surprise and has become the #1 post on my site!
People are LOVING this Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala!!!
I highly recommend that you take the time to scroll through the (over 50!) comments and see for yourself that IP newbies, picky kids, and even people who think they don’t like ethnic food are a little obsessed with this super healthy and nourishing recipe!
So, if you’re getting bored with the same ‘ol roast, stew, and boiled eggs in your Instant Pot… 😉
If it’s time to step a bit outside your comfort zone…
Then, make this recipe! I just know you’re going to love it, too!
And if you’re looking for delicious Paleo or Whole 30 recipes, you can serve this Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala over my Smokey Turmeric Cauli-Rice for a lovely Paleo, Whole30, or keto meal.
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 tablespoon butter (ghee for dairy-free or Whole30)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt (more to taste if needed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6-7 cloves garlic (diced)
- 2 " knob of ginger (peeled and diced)
- 1 24 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 2" cubes)
- 3 tablespoons yogurt (coconut milk yogurt for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 1/2 cup bone broth (or water)
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and add the butter or ghee and coconut oil to melt.
- Add the diced onion and saute 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the spices and stir, cooking about 1 minute, until fragrant.
Then add garlic, ginger, crushed tomatoes, and 1/2 cup broth.
- Place the cubed chicken breast into the Instant Pot, submerging it under the tomato-spice mixture.
Lock the lid, make sure the vent is sealed, and press the Manual button. Adjust the time to 10 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, release the pressure immediately.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces from the sauce, place into a bowl, and set aside.
Stir in the almond or cashew butter and yogurt.
Using an immersion blender, blend the tomato sauce until smooth and thick.
Return the chicken to the blended sauce and serve!
Helpful Links & More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot
- Learn how to use your Instant Pot!
- Smokey Turmeric Cauliflower Rice
- An Honest Review Of My Instant Pot
- Dairy-Free Instant Pot Queso
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew (potato-free, low-carb)
- Low-Carb Instant Pot Clam Chowder
- How To Make Any Blended Soup In The Instant Pot
Do you love Tikka Masala and other Indian dishes? Have you ever made Tikka Masala in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker?
Updated 10.09.2017 and 05.02.2018
7 dinners, 2 desserts, prep steps, & printable shopping list...
All Real Food, all in your Instant Pot!