Instant Pot Sweet ‘n Spicy Asian Pulled Pork (paleo, keto option + finding pastured pork)
Nothing beats tender, juicy pulled pork! This Instant Pot Sweet ‘n Spicy Asian Pulled Pork is LOADED with flavor. It’s Paleo and has a sugar-free, keto option! Make this easy, delicious main dish with pastured pork… I’m discussing the benefits of pastured pork + how to find it, too! Download your FREE 7-Day Real Food Instant Pot Meal Plan!
Holy smokes, but I do love me some pulled pork! It’s just so delicious and so versatile!
Tacos? Pulled pork.
Rice bowls or cauli-rice bowls? Pulled pork.
Meat for salad or nachos? Pulled pork.
Stir-fry? Pulled pork!
Do you see what I mean? Any way you season it, any way you serve it, nothing beats tender, juicy pulled pork!
In our case, I am so blessed to have our pork come from just an hour away. Melanie, our beef and pig farmer, raises happy pastured animals on her farm, resulting in the tastiest, healthiest meat for — quite literally — 100 miles! 🙂
Did you know…
Pastured Pork Is Food With Benefits
Pastured pork is better for people and pigs than conventionally raised (CAFO) pork.
It’s higher in vitamins D and E, higher in beneficial fatty acids EPA and DHA, and higher in selenium. Plus, I’ll let you in on a big secret… It tastes WAY better, too!
Additionally, pastured pork is better for the animals. They have access to fresh air, clean water, and sunshine — all of which contributes to making their meat and fat higher in vitamins and beneficial fats. Pastured pigs roam free and exercise their muscles because they have plenty of space. (Learn the difference between grass-fed and conventionally raised meat + 3 reasons why grass-fed is healthier!)
Contrast this to CAFO-raised pigs… Which are kept in confinement, hock-deep in their own excrement, fed a steady diet of GMOs and antibiotics, and are under a lot of stress.
Sadly, the way these animals are slaughtered is also atrocious. In fact, many vegetarians and vegans have chosen a meat-free lifestyle because of these terrible animal husbandry practices. I’ll spare you the gory details, because you can YouTube it for yourself…
Suffice it to say, if pastured and grass-fed animal protein wasn’t a thing or available to me, I’d be a vegan too. (Or, I’d start raising my own.) 😉
Happily, it is available to me! And I can relish the taste, tenderness, and totally humane treatment of the pork I’ve acquired from Melanie my farmer.
How To Find Local, Pastured Pork
So, what exactly qualifies as “local”? I would say any farm up to 250 or so miles, is pretty local. It would take some logistics, but theoretically, one could drive 500 miles round-trip in a day to procure one’s pastured meat.
However, that certainly isn’t ideal, so…
The best place to start is at your local farmers market. If your market doesn’t already have a pork/beef/chicken/egg vendor, chances are, someone at the market knows where to find that rancher.
If you don’t have a farmers market, check local butchers. I’m not talking about the butcher at the supermarket either. If your area has any family-owned, private butcher shops, they’re the best place to ask about local ranchers. Because ranchers have to have their meat processed somewhere, unless they’re processing it themselves.
After that, ask around town — local coffee shops, bars, churches, VFWs, health food stores, alternative medicine practitioners, a local Weston A. Price chapter, or other organizations. Odds are that you’ll discover a wealth of information simply by reaching out to your community!
With that… Make this Instant Pot Sweet ‘n Spicy Asian Pulled Pork using pastured pork roast, shoulder, or Boston butt! Nothing makes it faster or more tender than the Instant Pot!
The recipe as-is is Paleo, and I’ve given my sugar-free alternative for you low-carb/keto folks.
Instant Pot Sweet 'n Spicy Asian Pulled Pork
Any way you season it, any way you serve it, nothing beats tender, juicy pulled pork! With the flavors of Chinese 5-spice, ginger, and coconut aminos, this pulled pork is perfect for rice bowls, cauli-rice bowls, stir fry, and Asian pulled pork tacos!
- 4-lbpork roastpork shoulder, or Boston butt, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 to 3tablespoonslard or tallow
- 1cupchicken or pork bone broth
- 1/2cupcoconut aminos
- 1/4cupDietz Sweetfor keto/low-carb or coconut sugar
- 2tablespoonsrice wine vinegar
- 1tablespoonChinese five-spice
- 1-1/2teaspoonsdried ginger
- 1teaspoonsriracha sauceor more, if desired
- 1limejuice and zest (or 3-4 drops lime essential oil)
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot to begin warming up the pot.
- Add the bone broth to the pot.
- Then, add the pork roast to the pot.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour them over the pork roast.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, seal the vent, and press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Press the Manual button and adjust the time to 90 minutes.
- When the pot beeps, signalling that cooking is done, do a natural pressure release for 20 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure and remove the lid.
- Transfer the meat to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to shred the pork.
- Alternatively, transfer the meat to a cutting board and use 2 forks to shred the pork.
- Press the Saute button again and bring the remaining sauce to a simmer.
- Simmer until slightly thickened and reduced by about half.
- Finally, return the shredded pork to the Instant Pot and stir it to coat it in the sauce.
- Serve over rice, cauli-rice, rice noodles, in tacos, or with stir-fried veggies!
Our Most Popular Instant Pot Recipes & Posts
Need more no-fail Instant Pot recipes? How about the best Instant Pot information, troubleshooting, and tips? Here are the most popular Instant Pot recipes and posts here at All The Nourishing Things!
- FREE Download: Real Food Instant Pot Dinners 7-Day Meal Plan
- 5 Things You Can Make In Your Instant Pot TODAY To Save Time All Week
- 4 Ways The Instant Pot *Really* Does Save Time (+ 8 tips to account for & speed up pressurizing time)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala (Paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Spinach-Artichoke Meatball Soup (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
- Dairy-Free Instant Pot Queso
- 6 Best Instant Pot Resources (Real Food Only!)
- I’ve Had My Instant Pot For A Year… and here’s what I think! (An Honest Review Of The Instant Pot)
- How To Cook Wild Rice In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Mexican Beef Stew
- The Fastest Way To Render Animal Fat
- Asian Fusion Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Perfectly Steamed Wild-Caught Crab Legs
Do you love pulled pork? Do you buy local, pastured pork or other meat?
7 dinners, 2 desserts, prep steps, & printable shopping list...
All Real Food, all in your Instant Pot!